An estimated one of every 100 to 200 people in the United States has Celiac disease (also known as gluten-sensitive enteropathy, nontropical sprue, or celiac sprue). Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease wherein the body mistakenly attacks gluten and other proteins found in grains that are in the digestive tract. Celiac disease is genetic and can develop at any age in life from infancy to adulthood. What occurs is as foods with gluten are eaten the body produces antibodies to attack the gluten but these antibodies then mistakenly attack the lining of the small intestines. This damage to the intestinal lining includes the villi that are responsible to absorb nutrients and begin their delivery to other body systems. The nutrients particularly affected are fats, calcium, iron, and folate (folic acid or vitamin B9).
With deficiency in these nutrients a number of symptoms emerge that vary from individual to individual with the disease. These symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Indigestion, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- Fatty stools (pale, large, bad odor, floating)
- Decreased (or increased) appetite
- Lactose intolerance
- Weight loss, growth problems in children
- Some symptoms are not associated with the digestive system:
- Dermatitis herpetiformis (a skin rash)
- Anemia (iron deficiency), fatigue
- Missed menstrual periods
- Muscle cramps, joint and bone pain
- Sores in mouth
- Easily bruising, nose bleeds
- Dental discoloration, hair loss
- Nutrient deficiencies, malnutrition
Beyond physical symptoms depression, irritability, and behavioral changes can accompany the difficulties in diagnosing and dealing with this disease.
Oils, blends & products recommended:
Oils & Blends: DigestZen, cinnamon, grapefruit, ginger, lemon, peppermint
Also consider: Frankincense, melaleuca, oregano
The following fundamentals seem common to many success experiences:
- Absolutely avoid gluten
- Cleanse using GX Assist
- Supplement nutrients by consistently taking the Life Long Vitality supplements
- Drink sufficient pure water (divide body weight in pounds by two, drink the resulting number in ounces of water). Avoid sodas/caffeine.
Use an essential oil protocol for ongoing support. The following was suggested by Dr. David Hill:
- 2 drops lemon – tonic for the liver
- 2 drops grapefruit – helps dissolve toxins stored inside fat cells, so they can be eliminated from the body
- 2 drops ginger – digestive support
- 1 drop cinnamon – helps to regulate and lower blood sugar levels
Enhance nutritional supplements with “Green Smoothies” to add more iron (for example Monica suggests the following):
- 1/4 fresh pineapple
- 3+ cups of fresh baby spinach – for those not tolerant of spinach kale, collards, chard, or baby lettuce have also been suggested.
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil (also really good with wild orange essential oil)
- 2-3 cups water
- Pour over ice or put in blender with ice and drink.
- Pour any leftovers into ice trays and freeze for later. Later add 4 ice cubes to a glass of water and stir.